LIFE CHANGING BUTTERNUT SQUASH PASTA
INSERT Life changing bowl of comforting pasta. That might seem like an overstatement but this really was life changing and comfort food on crack.
Believe it or not, I had never had butternut squash pasta before even though I have seen it over the blogsphere many times. I was genuinely blown away with the complexity of flavor but simplicity of the cooking process. No matter your skill level you can make this pasta dish and WOW your dinner guests. I promise.
Think sweet butternut squash, creamy coconut milk/cream, herbecious basil, red pepper for some bite, kale for some texture all over gluten free pasta noods. I mean....
Another bonus is that it kept really well in the fridge over night so it would be a great potluck item for any fall dinner parties or friendsgivings you got coming up this holiday season. I made it for #nationalboyfriendsday for my man and my roomie. Both of them agreed it was really really good.
Make this seasonal gem, it is 100% a party in your mouth.
Creamy Life Changing Butternut Squash Pasta
12 Ingredients | 30 Minutes
1 small onion, diced about 3/4 cup
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 scant tbsp crushed red pepper *see note
3.5 cups butternut squash, cut in 1/2 inch cubes, from one medium butternut squash
1 tsp vegetable boullion *see note
1 can full fat coconut cream *see note
3-4 cups dino/tuscan kale, stems removed and chopped
2 tsp fresh basil, chopped, divided, more for garnish
1/2 tsp cumin, dried
1/2 tsp dried thyme (1 tsp if using fresh)
1/4 cup water, plus more to desired consistency
1 can garbanzo beans
pink salt to taste (I am pretty heavy on the pink salt, its high in minerals and makes everything taste GOOD)
black pepper to taste
water for desired thickness/thinness
1 lbs pasta noodles (I used a whole bag of trader joes quinoa brown rice blend)
crushed red pepper
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta until el Dente according to package.
2. Prep all your veggies as stated above. Peel and dice the butternut squash, dice the onion, mince the garlic, open the can of coconut cream, chopped the basil, de-stem and chop the kale
3. In a large frying pan heat up two tablespoons of coconut oil. Once hot add the diced onion and cook for 3-4 minutes. Then add in the butternut squash and cook another 4 minutes. Season generously with salt. Add in the garlic and red pepper, toss for 30 seconds.
4. Add the vegetable bouillon, coconut milk and 1/2 the basil and all the remaining dried spices and herbs. bring to a boil then lower to a simmer. Cook for 6-8 minutes with a lid on until the butternut squash is fork tender but not mushy.
5. Transfer to a high speed blender and turn on high, adding 1/4 cup water at a time until desired consistency is reached. I like my sauce on the thick side so I add a little water at a time, blending between additions. Cover with a towel just in case to make sure it doesn't explode all over your kitchen.
6. Then transfer back to the pan, and turn on to low heat. add in the garbanzo beans, kale and the remaining basil and stir for 2-3 minutes.
7. Add salt and black pepper to taste
8. Add the cooked pasta to the pan with the salt and toss to coat.
9. Divide among plates and garnish with desired toppings.